The keto diet, what is it?
Fad diets come and go.
Things like avocado toast are trendy one second and then the attention moves onto the next big thing.
People like to be doing what’s popular, or more so, they like to know about what’s popular.
Then tend to participate because more people point out the positives then they do the negatives.
The Keto diet is no exception.
That’s why we’re going to break down the question; what is the ketogenic diet?
Not new, the diet has been around before being tossed into the spotlight by seemingly everybody.
Once people started talking about its benefits it easy to see why so many wanted to try it.
The basic image of the Keto diet is of a low carb one that has immense fat burning potential if done right.
For once, the public idea and the real one aren’t very different.
The basic definition as defined by Cancer.gov here
The Keto diet, what is it exactly?:
A diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates (sugars) that causes the body to break down fat into molecules called ketones. Ketones circulate in the blood and become the main source of energy for many cells in the body. A ketogenic diet is used to treat some types of epilepsy and is being studied in the treatment of some types of cancer.
There are some important extras in their about the incredible benefits it has as a treatment, but it is also spot on with the public’s general view, Low carbs and fat burning.
Before you jump in, just like a job or project, its best to know as much as you can about the subject so you can truly understand what you are doing.
Because although the public has their eye right on the money when it comes towards the positives, you may be left in the dark about the potential downsides.
Here is a little information on keto to get you started on the journey.
What is the main goal of the Keto Diet?
The main focus in the Keto diet is to eat very, very minimal carbohydrates, average protein and tons of healthy fats. The base diet split would look like:
The purpose of the split is to get your body into something referred to as ketosis.
To simplify things, with your body running on the drastically low carbohydrates, it adjusts itself to run off of fats.
Thus giving the keto diet its well known ability to burn fat effectively
It. will typically only take a few days of the lower carbs to achieve ketosis.
Supplementation makes hitting these macro goals easier, try some protein powder, get some here
How does Ketosis work?
Your body prioritizes carbohydrates as its main source of energy.
When you cut back on those carbs in such a drastic way like in the Keto diet, your body has no other choice but too look for another source of energy.
Fatty acids are broken down in the liver to create Ketone bodies.
These will then become the primary way to get energy until sufficient carbs are introduced back into the body.
The human body is very efficient at using these Ketone bodies and will use them to fuel your brain, heart, and muscles.
Benefits of Keto
- Less appetite : While on the diet you may find that you are far less hungry then usual. Fats and proteins are more filling then carbs.
- Considered a good treatment for Type-2 Diabetes: Talk to your doctors before trying to use this as a treatment, but studies have shown that a Keto diet can be very effective at reversing this type of diabetes.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increased Brain performance: While your body is using ketones you may experience a feeling of increase brain performance, commonly reported by people on the diet.
- Treatment for inflammation such as arthritis
- Many, many many more…..
Negative effects of Keto
- Keto Flu: When starting the diet, it is common to go through the keto flu, with symptoms such as dizziness, headaches, and irritability among others, it can be a very rough patch to go through before entering ketosis
- Dehydration: if you are not careful you can quickly become dehydrated, while on keto your body will flush out water very quickly without all the carbs. Make sure to keep drinking liquids, and keep your electrolytes up by drinking things such as coconut water.
- Bad Breath: keep some mints around because once your body’s break down of acid occurs, your breath may get some serious stink
- Decrease in power: you will notice a decrease in power exercises, such as sprints for example because of the decrease in carbs, but you may however find improvement in endurance activities.
- This is a simple l
Hopefully this information left you more informed about what the ketogenic diet is, or even helped you decide whether to try it or not.
Filled with positives, the diet has quickly become a favorite for many who are trying to get and stay in shape.
Tons of sacrifice are required to reap the benefits. One common phrase about keto; its not a diet, its a lifestyle.
Remember whether it be a keto diet for beginners or trying some new exercises for newbies;
As long as you are consistent with whatever it is, you will see results.
- Before you try it, you may consider consulting with a healthcare provider to decide if it is safe for you.